JET 354165 JDP-15M 3/4-HP 15-Inch Bench Drill Press
JET 354165 is ideal for workshops with small spaces but power requirements. This product from JET comes with 16 speeds, making it ideal not just for drilling, but several other chores such as plating, routing, mortising, shaping, sanding and much more. By now we’re used to good drills having a cast iron base, table, and drill heads, so you would expect the same of the Jet drill press – and you wouldn’t be disappointed.
It gets better:
At 150 pounds, it is also extremely rigid, and when put together correctly it packs plenty of power, a smooth delivery, and very little run-out of the chuck (helped by the high-quality ball bearings guiding the spindle). As with all bench-top drill presses, having it mounted on a level and stable surface is very important because any vibration will transfer and be exaggerated. More weight generally helps to dampen this out, which is why heavier-duty drills like the JET are more popular with professionals.
What’s in the box?
Well, the answer to this question is simple: Jet 354165 JDP-15M 3/4 –HP 15 Inch bench drill press for you to assemble.
There is a very detailed manual, so don’t worry!
Dimensions and specific features
- Relatively heavy, weighing 163 pounds (73.936 kg). The base is heavy enough and provides adequate stability during operation.
- The drill press is medium sized as it measures 31 inches (2.583 feet) in length, 13 inches (1.083 feet) in width and 39.5 inches (3.292 feet) in height.
- The machine can be run in 16 different speeds with a minimum of 200 rpm and a maximum speed of 3,630 rpm.
- The JET 354165 bench has a power output of 0.75 horsepower (559.5 watts). Its motor can be operated from 115V or 230V power source.
- A rotatable work-table measuring 10 inches by 13 inches can be bent to 45 degrees. The work table is operated through a crank.
- Its spindle can swing up to 15 inches (1.25 feet) and is controlled by an adjustable tension return spring.
I’ve had my drill press since 2009 and I use it quite often. I haven’t had any problems and it does everything I need. So far, I really like this press. It seems like a great buy for the price. It is smooth, solid and relatively quiet.
The best part is:
It’s very easy to assemble and after that it works like a charm. You can also check out a 20 inch Jet drill press, and a 17 inch one.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to assemble
- Runs quieter and more smoothly than other drills
- Easy speed switching
- Nicely sized worktable
- Incredible accuracy
- Stability while drilling
- The assembly directions can be a bit hard to follow.
- The drill is a bit tall (3.3 feet).
- There are some vibration and wobble issues while using this machine.
If you are looking for a drill press that is in your price range, this one can be a great option to consider. It is durable and powerful, making it perfect to accomplish any task that you want.
But the bottom line is:
When choosing a drill press, you need to make sure that you consider every aspect of this drill to make sure that it is the right option for you.